Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Lessons from the Calling of Moses

I studied Exodus 3&4 in depth this week, trying to understand what I could about Moses (actually, I was trying to compare what the scriptures ACTUALLY say compared to Hollywood movies about Moses). I learned a great lesson from what Moses said back to God after he was chosen to lead Israel out of Egypt.

Moses first responded by saying, “Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh?” Later, he had other questions: “When they ask who sent me what should I say? When they don’t believe me what should I do? How can I say it, seeing that I am slow of speech?” After the Lord answered all of those questions, he even said, “Can you please send someone else?” (Exodus 4:13, NIV version)

God reassured him each time: “Surely I will be with thee. I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. I made man’s mouth, and I will teach thee what to say.” He even allowed Moses to do great miracles as signs to the people, and called another man (Aaron) to help him along the way.


As I was reading these chapters I had a few things come to mind. First off, that I was helped ALL THE TIME in my calling in the Bishopric. I remember looking throughout the congregation my first Sunday on the stand and only being able to name 5 people! President Monson said, "It is the Lord's work, and when we are on the Lord's errand, we are entitled to the Lord's help. Remember that whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies" (April 1996 Conference).

Secondly, a couple scriptures came to mind: The message that Christ will help us in our God-given responsibilities is summed up great in D&C 84:88 – “And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.” When I was on my mission Elder Holland came to visit us. He shared Moses 1:39 about the Lord's work and glory. Then he said, "To me, the two most important words in that verse are 'my' and 'my.' Remember that the work and glory to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man is HIS work. God's work and God's glory are in GOD'S HANDS." 

I have come to believe this principle. If we just do God's work, the way that He wants us to, then everything will work out. And God's power, grace, and guidance will be there the whole time.


No comments:

Post a Comment