Wednesday, November 18, 2015

The Parable of the Cigarettes and the Lollipop

In primary on Sunday, the girl giving the talk told the story of the Good Samaritan, which was almost my entire sharing time lesson plan. So I punted a little and trusted that God would fill my mouth with what else Senior Primary needed to learn from that story. The thing that came to mind was a story that I had always equated with service, but until I shared it in primary, I had never realized how perfectly it fit with the story of the Good Samaritan. So I'm going to share my unique version of the parable of the Good Samaritan here.

"A certain mother with three daughters went down from West Valley to Holladay to attend their weekly piano lessons. While on their journey, they fell among some sharp objects on the road and got a flat tire, which left their poor car as good as half dead. And by chance there came down a certain well-dressed businessman that way: and when he saw the mother with her three children in need, he passed by on the other side. And likewise another middle-aged gentleman, when he was at the place, came and looked on them, and passed by on the other side. But a certain  young man in worn out clothes and with cigarettes and a lollipop in his pocket, as he journeyed to an appointment to discuss potential parole with his lawyer, came where the family was: and when he saw them, he had compassion on them. And went to them, and changed their flat tire, and took care of them."

"Which now of these three was a true neighbor unto them that were in need?"

"The unexpected Samaritan- a kind man with a carton of cigarettes and a lollipop."


No comments:

Post a Comment